Professor of Mechanical Engineering
David Cebon is interested in taking PhD students.
University Engineering Department
Cambridge CB2 1PZ
David Cebon BE, PhD, FREng, FIMechE, is Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, Director of the Cambridge Vehicle Dynamics Consortium and the Centre for Sustainable Road Freight, as well as Managing Director of Granta Design Limited. He is also a Fellow of Queens' College Cambridge
Professor Cebon leads an active research group concerned with the design and dynamics of heavy vehicle suspensions, road damage and the micromechanics of asphalt failure. He also has interests in the use of computers in engineering design and education. He has written numerous papers on the dynamics of heavy vehicles, traffic instrumentation, road damage and materials information management software.
Subject groups/Research projects
- Vehicle dynamics, design of vehicle suspensions using passive and active components.
- Heavy vehicle safety, productivity and fuel consumption
- Damage mechanisms of bitumens and asphalts.
- Damage to road surfaces and bridges caused by dynamic wheel forces of heavy goods vehicles.
- Heavy vehicle 'weigh-in-motion' technology.
- Selection of materials and standard components in design.
- Use of computers in engineering education.
Cebon, D. Handbook of Vehicle-Road Interaction, Swets and Zeitlinger B.V., Lisse, the Netherlands, ISBN 9026515545, 600pp, 1999.
Some Recent publications
- Cebon, D. and Ashby, MF. ‘Engineering materials informatics’. MRS Bulletin, Special Issue on Materials Informatics, Vol 31, pp 1004-1012, Dec. 2006.
- Costanzi, M, and Cebon, D. ‘An Investigation of the Effects Of Lorry Suspension Performance on Road Maintenance Costs’ Proc
- J. Mech. Eng. Sci, IMechE , Vol 221, No C11, pp 1265-1277, 2007.
- Helmus, MN, Gibbons, DF and Cebon, D. ‘Biocompatibility, meeting a key functional requirement of next generation medical devices’ Toxicologic Pathology, Jan 2008; vol. 36: pp. 70 - 80.
- Odhams, AMC; Roebuck, RL; Cebon, D and Winkler, CB ‘Dynamic safety of active trailer steering systems’. Proc. IMechE, Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics, 2008, 222(K4), pp367-380.
- Stone, EJ and Cebon, D. ‘An experimental semi-active anti-roll system’ IMechE J Auto Eng, Vol 222, No D12, pp2415-2433, 2008.
- Roebuck RL and Cebon, D. ‘Implementation of Semi-Active Damping on a Tri-Axle Heavy Vehicle Suspension’ IMechE J Auto Eng, Vol 222, No D12, pp2353-2372, 2008.
- Jeppesen, BP and Cebon, D. ‘Application of observer-based fault detection in vehicle roll control’ VSD, Vol. 47, No. 4, April 2009, 465–495.
- Ossa, EA, Deshpande, VS and Cebon, D. ‘Triaxial deformation behaviour of bituminous mixes’ ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol 22, No 2, pp124-135, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2010)22:2(124)
- Stone, EJ and Cebon, D. ‘Control of semi-active anti-roll systems on heavy vehicles’ VSD, Vol 48 No 10, pp1215-1243, 2010, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00423110903427439
- Odhams, AMC, Roebuck, RL, Lee, YJ, Hunt, SW, and Cebon, D. ‘Factors influencing the energy consumption of road freight transport’. Proc IMechE Part C, J Mech Eng Sci,Vol 24, No 9, 2010, pp 1995-2010 http://dx.doi.org/10.1243/09544062JMES2004