Professor of Mechanical Engineering
David Cebon is accepting applications for PhD students.
University Engineering Department
Cambridge CB2 1PZ
David Cebon BE, PhD, FREng, FIMechE, is Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, Director of the Cambridge Vehicle Dynamics Consortium and the Centre for Sustainable Road Freight, as well as Managing Director of Granta Design Limited. He is also a Fellow of Queens' College Cambridge
Professor Cebon leads an active research group concerned with the design and dynamics of heavy vehicle suspensions, road damage and the micromechanics of asphalt failure. He also has interests in the use of computers in engineering design and education. He has written numerous papers on the dynamics of heavy vehicles, traffic instrumentation, road damage and materials information management software.
Subject groups/Research projects
- Vehicle dynamics, design of vehicle suspensions using passive and active components.
- Heavy vehicle safety, productivity and fuel consumption
- Damage mechanisms of bitumens and asphalts.
- Damage to road surfaces and bridges caused by dynamic wheel forces of heavy goods vehicles.
- Heavy vehicle 'weigh-in-motion' technology.
- Selection of materials and standard components in design.
- Use of computers in engineering education.
Cebon, D. Handbook of Vehicle-Road Interaction, Swets and Zeitlinger B.V., Lisse, the Netherlands, ISBN 9026515545, 600pp, 1999.
Some Recent publications
- Cebon, D. and Ashby, MF. ‘Engineering materials informatics’. MRS Bulletin, Special Issue on Materials Informatics, Vol 31, pp 1004-1012, Dec. 2006.
- Costanzi, M, and Cebon, D. ‘An Investigation of the Effects Of Lorry Suspension Performance on Road Maintenance Costs’ Proc
- J. Mech. Eng. Sci, IMechE , Vol 221, No C11, pp 1265-1277, 2007.
- Helmus, MN, Gibbons, DF and Cebon, D. ‘Biocompatibility, meeting a key functional requirement of next generation medical devices’ Toxicologic Pathology, Jan 2008; vol. 36: pp. 70 - 80.
- Odhams, AMC; Roebuck, RL; Cebon, D and Winkler, CB ‘Dynamic safety of active trailer steering systems’. Proc. IMechE, Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics, 2008, 222(K4), pp367-380.
- Stone, EJ and Cebon, D. ‘An experimental semi-active anti-roll system’ IMechE J Auto Eng, Vol 222, No D12, pp2415-2433, 2008.
- Roebuck RL and Cebon, D. ‘Implementation of Semi-Active Damping on a Tri-Axle Heavy Vehicle Suspension’ IMechE J Auto Eng, Vol 222, No D12, pp2353-2372, 2008.
- Jeppesen, BP and Cebon, D. ‘Application of observer-based fault detection in vehicle roll control’ VSD, Vol. 47, No. 4, April 2009, 465–495.
- Ossa, EA, Deshpande, VS and Cebon, D. ‘Triaxial deformation behaviour of bituminous mixes’ ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol 22, No 2, pp124-135, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2010)22:2(124)
- Stone, EJ and Cebon, D. ‘Control of semi-active anti-roll systems on heavy vehicles’ VSD, Vol 48 No 10, pp1215-1243, 2010, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00423110903427439
- Odhams, AMC, Roebuck, RL, Lee, YJ, Hunt, SW, and Cebon, D. ‘Factors influencing the energy consumption of road freight transport’. Proc IMechE Part C, J Mech Eng Sci,Vol 24, No 9, 2010, pp 1995-2010 http://dx.doi.org/10.1243/09544062JMES2004
- Odhams, AMC, Roebuck, RL, Jujnovich, BA, Cebon, D. ‘Active Steering of a Tractor Semitrailer’ IMechE J Auto Eng. Proc IMech E, Part D: J Auto Eng July 2011 vol. 225 no. 7 847-869. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0954407010395680
- Midgley, WJ. and Cebon, D. ‘Comparison of Regenerative Braking Technologies for Heavy Vehicles’. IMechE J Auto Eng, 226 (7) pp 957-970, 2012 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0954407011433395
- Miller, JI, and Cebon, D. 'An investigation of the effects of pneumatic actuator design on slip control for heavy vehicles', Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol 51, No 1, 2013, pp 139-164, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00423114.2012.717703
- Jujnovich, BA and Cebon, D. ‘Path-following steering control for articulated vehicles’. ASME J. Dyn. Sys., Meas., Control Vol 135 Number 3, 031006 May 2013, 15pp DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4023396
- Midgley, W, Cathcart, H, Cebon, D. 'Modelling of Hydraulic Regenerative Braking Systems for Heavy Vehicles' IMech E J Auto Eng, 2013, 227(7), pp1072-1084, 2013 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0954407012469168
Roebuck, RL, Odhams, AMC, Tagesson, K, Cheng, C. Cebon, D.. ‘Implementation of trailer steering control on a multi-unit articulated vehicle at high speeds’ ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 136(2), 021016, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4025815
Costanzi, M and Cebon, D. 'A Generalised phenomenological model for the viscoelasticity of idealized asphalts', ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering Vol 26, No 3, March 2014, pp399-410. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000842
109 Wilson, G. Morrison, G. Midgley, W. Cebon, D. ‘Relationship between Heavy Vehicle Speed Limit and Fleet Fuel Consumption on Minor Roads’ IMechE Proceedings Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, published online March 12, 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0954406215573038
Goodrum, WJ and Cebon, D. 'Synthesising Spatially Repeatable Tyre Forces from Axle Load Probability Distributions' IMechE Proceedings Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, published online March 13, 2015 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0954406215575581
Henderson, L. and Cebon, D. ‘Full-scale testing of a novel slip control braking system for heavy vehicles’, IMechE, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 22 Jan, 2015. Published online before print: http://pid.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/09/22/0954407015604804.full.pdf